Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Sledding and shoulders…


It snowed in middle Tennessee in March! 

Actually, it iced about an inch, then it snowed about 3 inches. It was fun to watch, because it doesn't happen that often in Tennessee, especially in March.

So, as part of the day we decided to go out and sled in it, as a family. We got all bundled up and added more layers on that - it was about 16 degrees, with a strong windchill. We were ready and went out to sled, throw a few snowballs, etc.

It was all fun and games until…


My wife, my children and I were out  on our back hill - it’s pretty steep and makes you slide down quickly. It was an immediate blast! we made several treks up the hill and each ride down got better, as the snow packed down and the ice was revealed. Sometimes we went far, and sometimes we crashed. We took pictures. We laughed. We had fun together. 

Then it happened…

You know, the thing that messes up the fun - it seems that when you are having the most fun, something interrupts that fun…with something…not fun.

My youngest son and I both ended a run, and we began to wrestle some, in the snow. That’s fun and usually not a problem, but somehow I landed on my arm funny, and I felt a pain in my shoulder. I knew this wasn't just a simple bump. I felt like I couldn't get my shoulder to move correctly, and it hurt. I know that I’m a typical man, and we men are wimps, but I was pretty sure this wasn't just a bump.

I went to the doctor, and he said that my shoulder could have dislocated, but fortunately it didn't go quite that far. He said that I sprained the shoulder joint, and it’s going to hurt for a bit. No huge harm done…

So what’s my point?

It’s simple - it was worth any injury to take a bit of extra time to make memories with my family. 

I know that some people choose not to do family things with risks, because it could end in disaster - it’s true - it could, but what kind of memory does that make? BORING…

Thoughts: Family time isn’t always about vacations, and large things - it’s about the simple fun, even if it hurts a bit.


Question: Are you doing boring, or taking a risk to be with your family?


Join me on InstagramTwitter & Facebook - click the links...

2 comments:

  1. Ha! I know what you mean. As we get older things hurt a "little" more, Actually a lot more... But you are so right. I think I remember that snow.. It happened in NY too. I was staying with our daughter who had just given birth to her first son, our third grandson. I was up late because I took on those middle of the night feedings. When I looked out the window, I said, "What???" It doesn't usually snow here either, in mid/late March. So I took pictures...
    Anyway, I always take advantage of those little moments aka TBT! I'm often the one to start the silly song, or a hula hoop contest, dance the Cotton Eyed Joe... My grown kids think I'm nuts. But the Grandkids know that I'm the Bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, if was a weird winter. Reminded me of winters as a child, tons of snow and cold.

    ReplyDelete

Comments always welcome...