Monday, December 5, 2011

Be nice...or be a grinch...




This time of year, we are all stressed and have a lot going on. We still work our normal jobs and yet we have so much more to do. There are extra church functions for ladies, men, children, teens and each one requires our attendance. We have work Christmas parties, and business functions that we wouldn't normally be involved with. We have travel that we don’t normally do. We decorate and add some flare to our homes. We have to find time to shop and go over lists and make sure that Santa Clause was fair to each of our children. We also get together with different parts of our families and then we have Christmas day! We are busy - sorry if I stressed you out with this reminder...
I am a task oriented person and when I have a list, I become a targeted person with intense focus to get the list done. I have to check the box and make sure it is complete. I do this for me and not others (it’s the OCD coming back again). In doing the list of things that have to be done, I sometimes for get that there are people in my life, and not just family. There’s the cashier at Walmart, the bank teller, the barista at Starbucks (very important to be nice to them), the stock person at the clothing store I am shopping at, the drive thru window person at my favorite fast-food place...shall I go on? We are in contact with so many people and, I know, that sometimes I forget that they have the same stresses that I do (and some stresses are likely even worse).
This is where I have to focus on more than just the task, and flat out be nice to people. I have to realize that I have my list, but the person I’m talking to has theirs too. I have to say nice things and be polite and make sure to share an encouraging word, even if I’m having a bad day or I have a major issue in my life. People that you talk to can be very encouraged if you are just nice to them and take a moment to smile. I am too focused on me and my needs sometimes and I have to have my heart in the correct spot, so I can be nice to those I meet, and not just during this season.
Lessons Learned: Niceness is a choice and we need to make that choice.
Thoughts: Who was nice to you this week? Take it and pass it on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome...