Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Hailstones and rainbows…







It was actually a double rainbow...

I love to watch storms. I may have said this before, but I think it’s extremely cool to see the power of a storm and the impact that it has...
I like to see strong winds blow (I know - you can’t see the wind, but the results - trees swaying, waves crashing, etc.).
I like to see the huge rain drops.
I like to see the fast running streams and water moving more quickly than normal.
I like to see big snows and big flakes.
I like to see hail and hear it as it hits.
I like to see the rainbows that you sometimes see after a storm.
I got to see both the hail and a rainbow about a week ago and the pictures show you what I saw that day. 
As usual, I had some thoughts and questions…
Why do I like to see the storms? Is it like a volcano? I know that an erupting volcano is not good, but it’s an amazing and unusual sight to see.
Do storms remind me of life and the before (calm), during (chaos) and after (calm again)? 
Does it just remind me of God’s awesome power?
Does the fact that I make it through, make me enjoy the time in the storm?
I really think it’s a mix of all of those, but I think it’s mostly because of this…
I know God will take care of me at any time in life. It doesn't matter if it’s the up times where all is going well, or when the storm hits and I’m struggling against the wind, waves or hail, or if it’s after the storm when I see God’s hand of protection and promise in the rainbow. 
I also think it’s because I realize that storms don’t last very long. They hit and, usually they hit hard, but they are over pretty quickly. They may have some longer lasting effects, but the actual roughness of the storm is over relatively quickly and the calm comes again, in the end.
When a loved one dies, the initial pain is always the worst, but eventually it subsides and we see God’s grace…
When we lose a job, the first thought is often worry, but we then see how God provides…
When we struggle with a tough situation with a friend, it hurts, but we see God’s reconciliation in the end…
Lessons Learned: Don’t look at the storm, look to the Lord that controls the storm. Look at the end of the storm and take time to count your blessings.
Thoughts: What storm are you in the middle of right now? Have you counted your blessings?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome...