Sunday, August 12, 2012

Little lies and big sins…




I was at Panera Bread getting some things done, the other day, and a man sitting beside me lied. He was sitting at the table beside me, called someone, and stated that he would be between 5 and 10 minutes late for their meeting at Panera Bread - he was already sitting there, at Panera Bread, so how could he be late?

I don’t know, for sure, why he lied, but he did. He actually sat there for over thirty minutes waiting and the person he called never showed up. I expect that he was calling that person to give a nonchalant reminder that they had a meeting, instead of saying “Where are you? I’m here already.” When he left, he looked a bit defeated...but I’m not completely sure why he lied.

Lie is a harsh word and most of us don’t like it…


We say things like…

Fibbing…

Stretching the truth…

Little white lies…

Fabrication…

Hyperbole…

Tale…

Tall story…

Whopper…

Terminological inexactitude...

This list could go on for a while. We try to soften the blow of what we’re doing, by making it sound better, okay or palatable. 

We don’t just do this with lying, we do it with most every sin or wrongdoing in our lives.

We don’t like to think of ourselves as bad, wrong, evil or a sinner. It’s sounds way too hard, or hurtful. We also forget that others are sinners just like us. We like to think the positive about others and not focus on the fact that we are all sinners.

“Whoa - wait just a minute - slow down here, pal! Where do you come off talking like that?”

It’s not me, because I’m a sinner too and I fail often - in fact, like all of us, I choose to sin daily. Really, it happens, even though I don’t like to admit it and I don’t want it to happen. I try and fail, then try harder and fail again, but I don’t give up.

This is the problem we all face - that we all fail - we all choose wrong sometimes, but we all think we’re okay with just a little bit of bad, wrong, sin or evil (a bit of a strong word, but it helps hit the point). We look at our spiritual lives as a balance or scale and think that the more good we have, the less the bad matters. We think that if we just look at our good side and ignore the bad side, that it’s okay, and we’re okay. 

It’s not true.

We need to take care of the hard parts of our lives - the sin, wrongdoing, errors and failure. We can’t just leave it sit. 

The “little sins” lead to bigger issues than we want.

The little wrong choices turn into major consequences latter in the day, week, month, year or lifetime. 

I chose to steal some candy at a store, when I was about 10 years old - bad stuff - I didn’t know the consequences, and the thievery was less than a couple of dollars, but I got kicked out of that store for a year.

I chose to do drugs, in high-school, and it affected my memory for life.

We all have examples of little choices that we’ve made, during our life, and the consequences that follow.

Lessons Learned: Watch the “little white lies” that you choose each day.

Thoughts: Have you seen some tough consequences from little choices you've made?

#failalot

Follow me on Twitter - Friend me on Facebook - look at the top right of my blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome...