Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday #3…



A great place to think...

Today is a quote. It’s well known and many have attributed it to Abraham Lincoln - I’ll let the debate go on about that - it’s a good quote, so I don’t really care who said it, other than given credit appropriately.

Here it is…


“Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool 
than to Speak and Remove All Doubt.”

I’m in sales, so this is a trap that a lot of sales folks dive right into - we talk to much - we are verbally challenged and tend to say way too much. We put our feet in our mouths and often add another set after our own. It’s an easy trap. In fact, I see people do it all the time - for some reason, most all of us feel the need to keep talking - we avoid the silence, maybe even fear the silence.

I am learning to listen more and talk less. You learn a lot more when you listen and you get more time to formulate answers effectively.

I think the real origination of this quote is from the book of Proverbs in the Bible…

“Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise: and he that shutteth his lips is esteemed a man of understanding.” Proverbs 17:28

It’s a great truth and we should all apply it...enough of me talking now…

Lessons Learned: Two ears and one mouth - nuff said.

Thoughts: Do you struggle with silence?

#failalot

Follow me on Twitter - Friend me on Facebook - look at the top right of my blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome...