Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Lead is a 4 letter word…#1



I am starting a 7 part series of four letter words that help you lead. I hope they are an encouragement to you, and help you with your work, your life, your church and your family. They will be simple, and I’m thankful for you reading them. 
Some have said that “Work” is a four letter word, giving it the connotation that it’s bad, or evil, or not to be done, or avoided, or negative. 

I posted some other four letter words - work, rest & fail. I also posted about the importance of the word word - it's a little wordy though.
It takes work to do anything that you want in life. Even the laziest person has to work to get the minimal things they want.
Work will be part of all the the four letter words I talk about in this series on leadership and you have to work toward any goal, plan or desire you have.
Don’t look at all four letter words as bad...I think that frogs are nice...wait, that’s five letters...you get the point.
Today’s word is LOST - L.O.S.T…

L - Leave your comfy couch!
You have to decide that it’s worth it - whatever “it” is - you have to get up and get after it. You have to start. 
It may be something big, starting your own business...
Maybe it’s starting a blog for ferrel cats…
It could be starting a ministry of some sort to help folks…
Maybe it’s a simple change in your life, like being honest, or trying to lose some weight…
It could be how your impacting those in your sphere of influence - like writing a note, or email, or text…
It really doesn’t matter, just get up and start it - leave your comfort zone. You don’t have to take some huge risk with all your life savings, but you should explore your dream, goal, hope or plans. Seriously, get up...now...
O - Don’t Overthink your dream!
We kill our plans by over-thinking them. When we think too much, we find excuses why we should do them. We find reasons we will not succeed. We find others that have tried and they discourage us.
I started this blog on a whim. One person encouraged me to write down some thoughts, because they said I was good a sharing stories about real life (I may not be, but he made me feel like I was). I went to a motivational business seminar one day, and I started this blog the next. No major planning. No detailed business structure. No talking to a committee. I came up with a beginning thought and began to roll. 
Smaller goals, like a blog, can be done quickly...larger goals may need more planning, but you understand that over-thinking will kill your hopes, if you let it.
S - Do Something today!
Okay, this seems the same as “Leave your comfy couch!” It’s not. You have to do more than just get off the couch. You have to do one thing today, and then one thing the next day, one the day after that, one the next, then one more, then the next day, then…
Do not jump up with your idea and do nothing with it. Take your motivation and get something done today.
Pick a theme for your blog (Never Fail is taken)…
Put down five basic needs for your business…
Write your fist thank you note or email…
Decide who you want to minister to…
Set three goals to get your dream accomplished…
Do one thing now, but don’t forget to either finish reading this post or come back to it… 
T - Try - fail at it! #failalot 
You will possibly fail, maybe I should say, likely fail. It happens. It’s part of life. My first posts were weak, my next month was not so hot, even now, I throw out some losers, but sometimes, they hit home to my audience, sometimes, I get a comment about how I helped someone, or made them laugh, or touched an important nerve. 
My fails just became worth it!
So what if you fail, or you get heckled, or mocked, or someone calls you a bad name, or you trip and fall on your face. You can get back up again. If your dream or goal is right, and you want to move on it, then stop worrying about failing. It’s not a big deal to fail - you’ll only get better and become more equipped.
Lessons Learned: Get LOST in your dreams of goals today! Don’t quit your day job yet, but, if the Lord has given you an idea, then move on it.
Thoughts: Are you still on the couch?
#failalot


Follow me on Twitter - look at the top right of my blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments always welcome...